Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Habakkuk, You Had Me at Hello

(So glad you are here! If you want to take full advantage of this study, I would suggest either printing out the lessons or having a journal nearby to answer the questions. I would also have a Bible or Bible App open. Go about this at your own pace. I will be posting lessons twice a week - Wednesday/Friday - with homework you can do in between. And please offer any feedback. I'm a first-timer at this!)


Have you ever met someone, and within your first 10 minutes of talking, you just knew?
You knew that this person “gets” you.

She’s a complete stranger at the bridal shower, but she made a joke about wearing Spanx as you were both drooling over the brownie tray.
You laugh and tell her how you have on your favorite pair of “Trust Your Thinstincts” -  by far the best thing they sell. She comes back saying, “No way girl. You haven’t come close to paradise until you try on their “Heaven Tank Romper.”’

And that was all it took.
You sat and ate your brownies, made jokes about the smile the bride-to-be forced after opening her 10th picture frame, tear-ed up talking about both of your grandmothers in nursing homes, both confessed your obsessions/borderline additions to Netflix…
And before you knew it, 2 hours of chatting had flown by.

And you just knew.
She gets me.
As in, she understands me. We click. We may even just be friends for life.

I’m about to make a pretty pathetic transitional statement.
Promise you won’t judge me too harshly?
Okay, here it goes.
That’s how I felt about Habakkuk the first time I “met” him.
Ha! Okay, even typing that out made me laugh out loud.

Habakkuk, a prophet from 2,400 years ago, my new best friend?! 
But it’s sadly true.

It was his opening line that grabbed me. (Yes, he had me at “hello.”) 
But read his first quotation, and see if it grabs you a little too.

“O Lord, how long shall I cry for help, and you will not hear?” (Habakkuk 1:1)

I read it, and I just knew. 
I get him.

I had been having one of those years where I felt like almost every other day I was thinking Habakkuk 1:1 in my heart (or my own version of it).
“God are you listening? Can you throw me a stinkin’ bone here? Are you going to do something? What are you doing?!”

Have you ever questioned God like that? (Maybe not in the exact, immature verbiage as mine.) But have you ever questioned God’s plan, His character, His … well … even His existence?

If so, how do you usually handle those thoughts?
Try to mark your answer on the line below:





Far Left: You are super honest with God about your questions. Yell it out, cry it out with Him.
Middle: You think it and stuff it. You have the doubting thought but don’t actually bring it before God. You just stuff it away and keep going.
Far Right: You stop the thought before it fully surfaces thinking it’s bad to even think those sort of words.


Explain your answer here, if you want : ____________________________________________________________________________________________


There was something in me that just loved that a prophet, a PROPHET in the Bible was whining to God. I guess it made me feel better about my own whining.
Although I have to admit, Habbakuk probably had a lot more justification behind his whining than I did. My year of suffering paled in comparison to what he was seeing.

What was he seeing? Why ask God such a bold question? 
Well, let’s find out together through a little historical context. In the next post (Friday), I’ll give you the short version so you history-haters don’t doze off on me.

But before we do that, I just want you to meet Habakkuk for yourself, hang out with him. 
His book is short. Only 3 chapters. In my Bible that’s all of 2 ½ pages. 

And as you read you may want to do the following:

  • Write down questions you have, or just put a question mark next to confusing verses.
  • Underline verses that stand out to you, that you like or that you don’t like. 
  • Write down initial observations such as: What do you observe about Habakkuk (personality, concerns, tone, transformation, etc)? What do you observe about God (tone, character, response to Habakkuk, etc)? What do you observe about the setting (what is happening now and what is about to happen)?

After meeting him, I can't help but wonder if he will have you at hello too:) 
See you Friday! 

P.S. Answer today's questions or leave observations about Habakkuk in the "Comments" section below if you want to have a conversation. I would love it! And I know others would too.

4 comments:

  1. Love it. First, here is how I interpreted what I read:

    Habakkuk: "God, are you seeing this? What the heck?"
    God: "Yes. I see and I know. Those Chaldeans are quite the force for man to reckon with. They have lots of great resources and they use those resources to hurt others. They exploit. They defile. They think they own the place."
    Habakkuk: "Right. That's exactly what I'm talking about. Are you planning on doing anything about this?"
    God: "Alright. You want a play by play. Here's how it will go down - The Chaldeans spend all of their time making enemies. They have no friends. This will eventually result in their destruction. What is left of them, I will finish off personally."
    Habakkuk: "Wow, God. I don't know what came over me. Of COURSE you are in control of all this. The earth and everything in it knows. The elements respect and obey your commands. I just got chills thinking about it. Even though there is bad all around me, my God picks me up and puts me someplace good."

    Here are some things that resonated or stood out to me as I read:
    1. Our need for justice (especially when it's justice brought on someone else) - I thought it was really interesting that Habakkuk ended with him being totally appeased with just the *promise* of justice - he hadn't even seen the actual reckoning. Sometimes we simply need the reassurance of understanding God is aware, He is at work, He is good and we can trust Him.
    2. Timing - Our answers/justice can be quick and sometimes we will wait a (literal) lifetime. But what am I doing with that time? Am I using up my energy begrudging a person or circumstance or am I embracing the freedom and good life that God has already given me, trusting that He is still at work resolving the problem and for his glory?
    3. Consequences - God responds to Habakkuk with a long list of natural consequences that would befall the Chaldeans for the way they had chosen to live. We start to think it's all fun and games for people who do whatever they want with no regard for the people around them. But I think there's true suffering in the middle of that kind of rebellion for a lot of people as a direct result of the decisions they make. And, in the end, there is justice from God for their actions.

    We can draw parallels to what's going on worldwide today. With ISIS, race tension in America, corruption in leadership, etc...we hear people say often, "When will this stop?!". In the end, can I have the trust and peace that Habakkuk had when he heard the Lord's response to his inquiries? Can I be okay to wait on justice without it souring how I live my everyday life? Do I believe that God is good and I can trust him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura - your insights are amazing...thank you so much for sharing...you have encouraged me today :)

      Delete
  2. I am excited for your Bible study on Habakkuk. I follow your both you and your dad on Twitter and saw your posts regarding it. So here I am. I've been going through a difficult time and just recently read Habakkuk. Yes, he had me at "hello" too. I have been holding onto verses 17 & 18 from chapter 3. I've never participated in an online Bible study before and am looking forward to it. Let's just say, "I have an itch".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenna - I know I'm a year and a half late but I'm starting my Habakkuk study and found your resources - I am looking forward to travelling alongside you as I study Habakkuk and use some of your insights. Thank you so much for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete