Sunday, April 27, 2014

When Life Feels Out of Order

A lot of people call her Romadene.
Others, Mrs. Preston.
And a few "mom."
But we grandkids?
We have always just called her “Mimi.”

And if you met her, she would instantly become your Mimi too.
She’s just that way. 



The teacher that everyone remembers from Elementary school? That’s my Mimi.
The casserole that empties the fastest at the church potluck? That was Mimi’s.
The fridge stocked with popsicles and Dr. Pepper? Mimi’s.

The woman that never had a hot meal because she was serving everyone else? The soprano, the white curly perm, the one calling everyone else “sweetie”?
All Mimi.

When my sisters and I were little grand-girls, we would all sleep on her living room floor during Christmas. She was the best pallet-maker ever, piling one blanket on top of the next. And then she would tuck us all in like little burritos.

But today she isn’t the same.
Her health is failing and mind is wandering.
Dementia has crept in like an unwanted guest, and though we have asked him to leave, he refuses.

I know she’s afraid. She’s confused.
She’s wondering why she can’t do things like she used to.
And it breaks my heart.
I miss who she used to be.

The roles have reversed.

Now we are making her the casseroles.
We stock her fridge with Dr. Pepper.
And the other night, instead of her tucking me in, I crept into her room and knelt down by her bed. 
I asked her if she was comfortable, told her how much I loved her and said, “Sweet dreams, my sweet Mimi.” Then I asked her if she wanted the door closed or open. “Open,” she said.
I used to like my door open too.

When roles reverse, the world just doesn’t feel right.
Life feels out of order.
It feels backwards, uncomfortable, like two left shoes.

Jesus understands role reversals really well. More than I ever will.
From Mountain Molder to mountain climber.
From Breath Giver to breath taker.
Star Placer to star gazer.
From God to man.
And then, on the cross, He went from sinless to sinful.

He took it all on – all my bitterness, all my selfishness, all my envy, all my sin.
And He took yours too.

This reversal has made some skeptical, others doubt.
It may seem backwards, uncomfortable, like two left shoes.

Yet, in this reversal, everything was made right.

The world met grace. The world met love. The world met God.

This role-reversal with my Mimi feels uncomfortable now, but what if God uses it to make something more right in me?

What if as I suffer through how backwards this feels, I move forward in understanding? 
Understanding more about the suffering Jesus endured to offer the biggest reversal ever made – 
my sin for His grace.

And understanding this love a little more, makes my heart a little more right.

We have been chatting about good in goodbye the past couple of months on the blog. 
Is there such a thing?
I think this is another good I have found lately.

That as I’ve said goodbye to who my mimi was (still praying for a miracle along the way).
As I tuck her in, instead of being tucked in.
The reversal makes me think of Jesus’ reversal that much more - what He gave so that I could have.

 “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

 (Are you going through a role-reversal these days or feel like things are a little backwards? If so, what are you learning through it? Comment below.)



8 comments:

  1. We are going through some role reversals too. I don't much like it. Its so hard to watch. I had not thought about learning from it. Thank you so much for this post. If no one else needed to read this, I surely did. I will be thinking on this for awhile. Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, thanks for your words. I prayed that God would use this for at least one person who needed it. You are an answer to that prayer. I love how God works in that way. And praying God gives you strength during your hard time.

      Delete
  2. Oh Jenna...how sweet. What a kind way to honor your mom and your grandmother. Such sentiment in your words! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going through something much like this with my grandmother. She's so confused and the doctors think she's just getting old. This was such a wonderful thing to read and to feel like someone else is going through the same thing. I hope that your grandmother starts getting a little better. You and your family are such amazing people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So precious! Mimi would feel so honored. As hard as this is I'm so thankful for her legacy. She has loved so well therefore we love, kind of like Jesus. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciated your insightful thoughts about Aunt Romadene and role-reversal. We are going through similar things with my mom, her sister, as you may know. I am thankful for the legacy of both these ladies, their husbands, and their parents - Pop and Mom, my grandparents. May we all leave such a legacy for the ones who come behind us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew your grandmother and gran dad when we lived in Tyle in the 70s. Went to church with them for years at Glenwood. My daughter Rhonda graduated from REL with Pam. Was in ACU I belive Pam was there too. Denalyn was always admired by all of us. Where in Pam and Eric now? I would love to connect with them. Rhondas family and I live in Big Sandy Texas. She also has two daughters and the youngest is named Sara. I dont know if you will get this if so contact me on facebook. God bless. Lena


    ReplyDelete