Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Habakkuk - Ummm, God, You Sure You Got This?


My hard drive crashed the other day and so did I.
No really.
Ask my husband.
It was more than a tear trickle and frustrated grunt. I melted like a popsicle in July.
Face transforming, snotting, door-slamming kind of cries and yells.
My husband tried to console me. I just grabbed the keys and said (not very nicely), “I’m going for a drive!”
I made it halfway down my street before I couldn’t see out my eyeballs anymore, before my cries about the hard drive turned into personal cries against God.
“I don’t understand! Why won’t you heal him? We’ve prayed and prayed, but You aren’t helping! Where are You?”


My husband and I were going through the hardest season of our lives at the time.
His hero and best friend was dying.
His dad, Wes, was losing his life to a brain tumor.
Only 60-years-old, elder at the church, faithful husband, community servant, involved dad.


What are you doing, God? Are you there, God?
And at the root of those questions was an even bigger question in my heart:
God, are you sure you are good?


Yes, at the chore of my pain I was questioning God’s character even more than His plan. Could I trust Him?


And that’s exactly where we meet Habakkuk.








READ
Go ahead and read Habakkuk 1:1-4 again. (And if you are just now joining me, then I would suggest backing up a little bit and starting from the beginning to get the most out of this study.)


RESPOND
Habakkuk 1:1 -
Your version may say “The oracle Habakkuk saw” or “The prophecy Habakkuk received” or even “the Burden Habakkuk saw.”
That word “burden” strikes me.


Write down what you picture when you hear the word “burden”?


We see the prophets use this word when they are given a prophecy/vision from God that is going to pronounce destruction (Isaiah 13:1, Nahum 1:1).
God was giving Habakkuk a picture of doom for Judah and for Babylon.
And instead of receiving the message from God and dutifully relaying it, Habakkuk opens up and wrestles with God about this vision. 
I love that about him.
He wasn’t just going to share this prophetic “burden” with the people; he was going to share it with God.


Habakkuk 1:2-4 -
Write down the questions that Habakkuk asks God.



Let’s break down what’s going on behind these questions.


How long will I cry for help and you won’t listen? (v. 2)


How long implies that Habakkuk had been going to God with the same cry for help, over and over, yet heard nothing in return.


Or cry to you “violence” and you will not save? (v. 2)
Why do you make me see iniquity? Why do you idly look at wrong? (v. 3)


The violence Habakkuk refers to is happening before his very eyes. It’s the violence in Judah by his own people. Habakkuk is seeing God’s people gravely sin against one another and blaming God for not doing anything about it. Habakkuk doesn’t spell out the exact acts of violence, but we know Judean society was morally ungluing since the death of King Josiah.


Write down how Habakkuk describes the Judean people during that time (refer to v. 3-4):



You probably wrote down words like “destructive,” “unjust,” “wicked.”
Yes. All of that and more. The people of Judah had turned from God. The rich were oppressive and greedy. Violence and corruption sat on the throne.


And God wasn’t intervening.


And because God wasn’t intervening, Habakkuk lists everything falling apart in Judah.
(I tend to make lists when my life feels out of control too:) Do you?)


Fill in the blanks. What are the results of God’s hand not intervening (v.4)?
  • The _______ is paralyzed
  • _______ never goes forth
  • The _______ surround the righteous


So God’s Law (the Torah) is forgotten, justice is non-existent and the wicked are winning.
Does this at all sound like the world we live in today? If so, how?



Through Habakkuk’s list of fears and complaints, I believe there are even more questions implied. We listed the three obvious ones he stated in verses 2-3, but do you think he was thinking any of these?
(I’ve contemporized my language a little … no … a lot.)
God, are you in control, because you sure ain’t actin’ like it?
God, why are you being so unfair?
God, why do you let the wicked win?
God, why aren’t you protecting the the good guys?
God, are you there?
God, are you sure I can trust you?


REFLECT


Habakkuk chose to share the prophetic burden FROM God, WITH God. He asked Him about it, wrestled with Him.
What does that say about the way we should approach our burdens, even when they are God-ordained?



Read 1 Peter 5:7- What does God ask us to do with our burdens?



God actually WANTS our cares. He WANTS our burdens. I don’t want them, yet all too often I hoard my burdens like pantry food during a snowstorm.
Instead, let’s cry out, yell out, throw our burdens into the arms of God.


When was the last time you questioned God the way Habakkuk did (questioned his plan, His character)? Write about it - what was going on that caused you to question; what was hurting or confusing?



What keeps you from being honest with God about your deep, even doubtful questions?



What are the dangers of not being transparent with God?



Matt Chandler, a pastor I admire, says that “when you refuse to be honest with God, worship becomes an impossibility.” 
Why is that?
Well, God tells us in Psalm 51:17 that what He desires most in worship is a “broken and contrite heart.” That word, “contrite,” in the original Hebrew means “broken or crushed.” A contrite heart is humble. It’s low, “crushed” into reverent submission to God. When we are humble before God, we aren’t pridefully hiding secrets. With humility comes transparency.
So if God desires a broken and contrite heart, that means He desires our honesty.
When our hearts are not honest with God, our worship is not honest to God.


By Habakkuk being so honest with God, what does that say about the type of God we serve and the relationship He has with His people?



PRAY
Get honest with God during this time. If you have fears, burdens, questions, ask Him about it. He can take it. But then take a minute to be still. Listen for His voice. And ask Him to assure you of His sovereignty. Thank Him for the intimacy He allows for us to have with Him.


Looking Ahead: 
Next week we will look at Habakkuk 1:5-11. So take some time to read and journal about those verses before our next hangout.


(I referred to www.biblehub.com for commentary help as well as Matt Chandler's sermon series on Habakkuk - http://www.thevillagechurch.net/resources/sermons/.)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the truth about the correlation between honesty & worship.. never looked at it that way & it was good to read about Psalm 51. Your questions are reminding me of how our BSF questions are!... really make us chew on the verses & then ponder/apply how does that look in today's society & in our personal lives. So good. Thank you. - Lana
    (I'm not quite sure how to comment on my phone so sorry if it posts 18 times... Haha)

    ReplyDelete